Internet Use Policy
Internet and Computer Use Policy
These policies are not all inclusive and are subject to change. The Banning Library District will not assume any responsibility for damages arising from the use of electronic services in our library, including the Internet. All patrons, including juveniles, have access to the Internet as part of Library services. The Library does not monitor juvenile use of the Internet. Supervision and determination of Internet use is up to the parent/guardian of the juvenile. Violations of any part of this policy will result in the suspension of computer and possibly library privileges. Illegal acts involving the Library's computers are subject to prosecution by local, state or federal authorities. Users are financially liable for any damage caused either directly or indirectly to any equipment or software belonging to the Library. The Library reserves the right to terminate a patron's internet/computer session at any time the staff deems the use to be in conflict with the internet use policy.
Privacy and Confidentiality
Electronic transactions of information and viewing screens could become public. The Library cannot guarantee privacy or confidentiality. The library wireless (wi-fi) signal is public and not secure or encrypted. This free service is an open network provided for your convenience and its use is at your own risk. It is available to the general public, and is NOT INHERENTLY SECURE. The library cannot and does not guarantee the privacy of your data and communication while using the service.
Use of Library Computers
1. The library provides 14 computer workstations for patron use. These have Microsoft Office software installed and can access the Internet through Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorer.
2. Patrons are limited to one session per day.
3. Use of the Library computers is a privilege and not a right. If patrons have more than $5.00 in fines on their library card their card may be blocked from accessing the computer.
4. Patrons over 18 years of age who do not have a Banning Library card may ask for a guest pass at the circulation desk.
5. Printing is available from these workstations for 10 cents per page, (black and white only). During tax season (1/1 – 4/15) patrons can print up to 10 pages of income tax forms free of charge.
6. The library has 8 laptops in the computer lab for patron use during lab times. These can be used for up to two hours, but cannot be used to print.
7. The library has flash drive available for sale to save your work, or to transfer print jobs from the laptop lab to the patron workstations.
8. Patrons can use the PC Reservation self-service computer to schedule time on the workstations.
9. All users will be courteous to those around them and not disturb other patrons.
Library Computers cannot be used for:
1. Criminal or illegal activities.
2. Intentional development of programs to infiltrate a computer or damage/alter the software of the computer.
3. Intentional seeking of information belonging to others and/or representing yourself as another individual when not authorized by that user to do so, including using another patron’s library card to log on to the computer, with or without permission.
4. Installing software or programs onto the computer.
5. Harassment, libel or slander of others.
6. Displaying, viewing or disseminating sexually explicit, sexually suggestive, obscene or pornographic material in any way.