Friends at Work
A compilation of the Friends of Banning Library’s (FOBL) projects and fundraisers from 2018:
· In March 2018, FOBL purchased a PA /Sound system for the Library.
· In April 2018 during National Library week, FOBL working with the Banning Library staff, and the Library Historian Bill Bell, presented an "Antiquarian Auction," resulting in $1,712.00 donations.
· In June 2018, FOBL and the Library staff presented Library Historian Bill Bell lecture, "In Search of Sadakichi Hartmann."
· In early October 2018, FOBL sponsored an author “Meet and Greet.” FOBL are planning future “Meet and Greet” events with local and regional authors.
· In October 2018, FOBL was once again invited to participate in Cabazon Outlet’s fundraising “Extravaganza!” Our gracious patrons and kind strangers helped us exceed the 2017 donations of $993.64. This 2018 event raised $1,435.60 for FOBL projects.
· Each Christmas, FOBL purchases two eight-foot Douglas fir trees for display in the Lobby and the Children’s wing of the Library. In addition, we present gift cards from Banning eateries for all Library employees to thank them for their hard work during the year - and to support local Banning businesses as well!
· FOBL has purchased reading books for the Head Start Program through Scholastic Books, Inc., which will be handed out to each Head Start child upon their graduation at the end of May. FOBL would like to make this an annual donation to Banning Head Start families.
· In 2018, FOBL initiated a popular new program with the Obstetrics department of San Gorgonio Memorial Hospital, in which each newborn and mother receives “Baby’s First Library,” a set of two nursery board books. We hope this gift encourages the parent/child reading relationship to begin at birth.
· In 2019, FOBL has initiated an Essay Contest open to all Banning High School and New Horizon students, in which they will have the opportunity to win one of three cash prizes.
· At present, FOBL is developing plans for an event during National Library Week in April 2019, plus another “Antiquarian Sale” this coming Fall 2019.
The Friends of the Banning Library Book Sale!
The Friends no longer have the Third Saturday Book Sale. However, patrons can buy books in the Conference Room for 25 cents anytime that it isn’t being used by a class or meeting. Pay for them at the Circulation Desk.
Located in the Banning Library's Conference Room
For more information, call the Banning Library at
The Friends of the Library:
- Run the Friends Book Sale area, where donated books and withdrawn library materials are sold with the proceeds going to benefit the Library.
- Support the goals and priorities of the Library.
- Help plan and fund projects to benefit current and future library patrons.
- Buy books to give away as part of a reading program.
- Focus on collections, programs, and services.